Located on the banks of River Kaveri, Erode is situated centrally on South Indian Peninsula. Erode is an agricultural, textile and a BPO hub and among the largest producers of turmeric, hand-loom knitwear and food products.
The region comprised in the district can be portrayed as a long undulating plain gently sloping towards the river Cauvery in the south-east. The two major tributaries of river Cauvery viz. Bhavani and Noyyal drain the long stretch of mountains in the north. A part of the eastern boundary of the district is formed by river Cauvery, entering the district from Salem and flowing in a southernly direction.
Erode region formed a part of the historical Kongu Nadu region ruled by Cheras and then by Kalabhras who were ousted by Pandyas around 590 CE. Afterwards, it was ruled by Rashtrakutas and by Cholas from 10th to early 13th century, when Erode briefly came under the rule of Delhi Sultanate.
Erode was annexed by Vijayanagar Empire in 1378 CE till gaining independence in 1559 CE by Madurai Nayaks, who were defeated by Hyder Ali in 1736 CE. Consequent to fall of Tipu Sultan of Mysore in 1799, Erode was controlled by British East India Company with Maharaja of Mysore as principal ruler. Erode remained under British rule until Indian independence in 1947.
Thindal Murugan Temple, Periya Mariamman Temple, Natadreeswarar Temple, CSI Brough Church, Thowheeth mosque, Ravlathul Janna mosque, Bazaar Mosque and Jamia Pallivasal are prominent religious destinations in the city.
While the city is built around a demolished fort, a temple for Arudra Kabaleeswar (Shiva) praising the Saiva and one for Kasthuri Ranganatha Perumal (Vishnu) praising the Vaishnava aspects of Hinduism exists.
E.V.R Corporation Museum and Thanthai Periyar Memorial House, which depicts the life of Periyar E. V. Ramasamy, are prominent museums in the city.
291 total views, 3 views today